Monday, January 31, 2011

The week in one-liners - top 10 quotes in politics

"We didn't elect Superman, we elected a human being." - Colin Powell, on President Barack Obama.

"I'm trying to stay out of prison, obviously." - Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, on his current goals.

"Am I looking at the right camera?" - White House advisor David Axelrod, mocking Michele Bachmann's confusing Tea Party Express interview, during his own TV interview.

"In spite of the fact that I'm now on TV, I don't want to be on TV." - Former President George W. Bush, telling C-SPAN how low-key he'd prefer his life to be.

"Granny is safe." - President Obama, defending his health care bill from the "death panel" charges.

"I can't spell at all. ... In fact, you don't have to know how to spell anymore" - Vice President Joe Biden, revealing one of the perks of power.

"It's a tricky job. I'm sure I wouldn't be any good at it." - Incoming White House press secretary Jay Carney, assessing the job in a 2006 interview on C-SPAN.

"I'm Italian. We don't have problems with olives." - Rep. David Cicilline, dinging Rep. Dennis Kucinich in an interview with ABC News.

"Promiscuous." - Former President Bill Clinton, describing political advisor David Gergen’s political switch-hitting, while in Davos, Switzerland.

"Back off." - Sen. Harry Reid, issuing a warning to the White House on its efforts to rein in congressional earmarks.

© 2011 Capitol News

No comments: