Friday, April 29, 2011

Former Obama aide: Where are Trump's tax returns?


Donald Trump (Credit: John W. Adkisson/Getty Images)
Now that President Obama has released his long-form birth certificate to appease those questioning the site of his birth, a former member of Obama's team is asking Donald Trump to provide some documentation as well -- his tax returns.

"Donald Trump said he'd release his tax returns as soon as the president released his birth certificate, so the ball is in his court now, and I know everybody is anxious to see his tax returns over the last 10 years," former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told Politico.

In response to Gibbs' remarks, Trump told Politico, "Gibbs is a loser."
Trump, who says he is considering a run for the Republican presidential nomination, has insisted that people will be "shocked" by how strong his financial records are, but has said he won't release them until he's actually in the race. In an interview with ABC earlier this month, Trump tied the release of his tax returns to his persistent questions about Mr. Obama's birth certificate.

Birth certificate won't kill "birther" movement
Schieffer: Racism underlying Trump's assertions
Obama makes time for birther "silliness"

"Maybe I'm going to do the tax returns when Obama does his birth certificate," he said. "I'd love to give my tax returns. I may tie my tax returns into Obama's birth certificate."

ABC News asked Trump yesterday if he would follow through on that, and Trump said it's "something I would be thinking about doing anyway."

"But before I do anything I have to make the decision [to run] in June, and the first thing I'm going to be releasing will be financials," Trump said. Specifically with respect to releasing his tax returns, Trump said, "at the appropriate time I'm going to do it."


Meanwhile, Republican Sen. Rand Paul -- whose father, Republican Rep. Ron Paul, is also running for president -- used the release of Mr. Obama's birth certificate to take a jab at Trump's past ties to the Democratic party.

"I want to see the original long form, with embossed seal, of Donald Trump's Republican registration," Paul said at a New Hampshire fundraiser, the Los Angeles Times reports.

No comments: