Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lawrence Taylor reacts to sentenceDuring an interview after he was sentenced to six years' probation on Tuesday, Lawrence Taylor made no apologies for visiting a prostitute.



Speaking to Shepard Smith on Fox, Taylor did say that he did not look for an underage girl. The victim in the case was 16 at the time of the incident last May. In January, he pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct and patronizing a prostitute to avoid jail time.


Lawrence Taylor
Lawrence Taylor leaves Rockland County Courthouse on Tuesday after his sentencing. He did not speak in court but later lashed out in a TV interview.


"That's not my M.O. I've been around kids and people all my life," said Taylor, a former New York Giants Hall of Fame linebacker. "I'm not the cause of prostitution. And sometimes I make mistakes and I may go out there, but I didn't pick her up at no playground. She wasn't hiding behind the school bus or getting off a school bus. This is a working girl that came to my room. And I don't know what her age was. I asked her age. She told me she was 19. It is what it is."

Taylor blamed the institution of prostitution for the fact that he ended up with an underage girl.

"It's the world of prostitution," he said to Fox. "You never know what you're gonna get. Is it gonna be a pretty girl, an ugly girl or whatever it's gonna be."

Or a young girl? Shepard asked.

"You can only ask," Taylor said. "I don't card them. I don't ask for birth certificate."

Taylor said he had "no beef" with the girl.

"I'll take my punishment like I should, but my problem is at home with my wife, so that's really the only one I have to answer to," he said.

How did he get in this situation in the first place?

"It happens sometimes," Taylor said. "I'd been on the road 10 or 11 days and I came in to town. Actually, I made a phone call to a friend of mine, and he made a phone call."

Taylor said he has used the services of prostitutes in the past, especially between 1994 and 2001 when he was not married.

"I'm not looking for a relationship. Hey, sometimes I look for some company," Taylor said. "It's all clean. I don't have to worry about your feelings. It's all clean. I'm not saying it's right. It's the oldest profession in the world."

But right or wrong, Taylor appears to not consider prostitution a serious crime.

"I guess you call it a crime," he said. "It's one of those crimes you don't think about. You never think you're gonna get busted because everyone does it until you get busted, and then it's more embarrassing than anything else."ESPNNewYork.com

No comments: