Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Old GOP gizzer tries to be funny!

Groups call for Alan Simpson's resignation over 'sexist' letter

Former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), the outspoken co-chair of President Obama's debt commission, is in hot water with some advocacy groups after he sent an e-mail to National Older Women's League Executive Director Ashley Carson comparing Social Security to "a milk cow with 310 million tits!"

The letter was a response to a column Carlson wrote for the Huffington Post in April defending the entitlement program titled "Enough with the Pink Panthers bit." From Simpson's letter:

There may be no group called the Pink Panthers working to protect Social Security but I sure as hell am! I've spent many years in public life trying to stabilize that system while people like you babble into the vapors about "disgusting attempts at ageism and sexism" and all the rest of that crap.
Simpson signs off by writing "Call when you get honest work!"


OWL on Wednesday launched an online petition calling for Simpson to resign from his position over the "offensive and sexist" e-mail. Fox News reports that Social Security Works has joined OWL in calling for Simpson's ouster.

Simpson, a longtime critic of Social Security, has come under fire previously for suggesting "greedy geezers" are trying to protect their retirement checks while their grandchildren face a mounting national debt.

The bipartisan fiscal commission is set to issue recommendations for reining in the national debt in December, after the midterm elections.

UPDATE: Simpson has apologized in a letter:

I apologize for what I wrote. I can see that my remarks have caused you anguish, and that was not my intention. I certainly did not intend to diminish your hard work for the Older Women's League. I know you care deeply about strengthening Social Security, and so do I, just as deeply. I remember your testimony at our public hearing in June about the importance of retirement security for women. Over the last 40 years, I have had my size 15 feet in my mouth a time or two. To quote my old friend and colleague, Senator Lloyd Bentsen, when I make a mistake, "It's a doozy!"
He said he didn't respond sooner because he's on vacation and suggested a meeting with Carlson.

2nd UPDATE: Astute reader W.A.D. points out that Simpson was repurposing H.L. Mencken, who criticized the New Deal as "a milk cow with 25 million teats."

No comments: